SKIP navigation
International Admissions
UNO International Students on Facebook

UNO International Students

UNO International Admissions on Skype

UNO International Admissions

College Portrait Voluntary System of Accountability

UNO is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission's North Central Association. Learn more.

English Requirements

Use the following as a guide to determine your readiness for classes taught in English at UNO.

Undergraduate Proficiency Standards

New international students must provide proof of English proficiency before enrolling. Depending on your program of study, you may be able to begin undergraduate courses without taking the TOEFL. Learn about Conditional Admission, the Bridge Program, and the Advantage Track in ILUNO Intensive English.

College or Department Advantage Track Paper TOEFL Internet TOEFL Academic IELTS Overall PTE Overall ACT English SAT Reading
Architecture No 500 61 6 44 18 430
Arts & Sciences Yes 487* 57* 5.5* 43 18 430
Business Administration Yes 487* 57* 5.5* 43 18 430
Communication, Fine Arts & Media Yes 487* 57* 5.5* 43 18 430
Education No 500 61 6 44 18 430
Engineering No 500 61 6 44 20** 470**
English No 600 100 7 53 NA NA
Information Sciences & Technology Yes 487* 57* 5.5* 43 18 430
Public Affairs & Community Service Yes 487* 57* 5.5* 43 18 430
Agriculture No 500 61 6 44 18 430
Education & Human Services No 500 61 6 44 18 430

* Contingent on ILUNO approval or a passing score on the UNO English placement exam (EPPE). Enrollment in ILUNO may be required. The following scores do not require approval: Paper TOEFL, 500; Internet TOEFL, 61; IELTS, 6.0; and PTE, 44.

** Also required: graduation from a U.S. high school or 30 hours of coursework at a U.S. university or community college.

TOEFL Code: UNO's school code for Educational Testing Service's (ETS) TOEFL reports is #6420. No department code is necessary.

Graduate Studies proficiency standards

Graduate-level English proficiency standards vary by program. For a listing of programs and detailed admissions requirements, check out UNO Graduate Studies.

Alternative proof of English proficiency

Incoming students may provide proof of graduation from an accredited U.S. college or university with a bachelor degree or higher.

Incoming students may also provide proof that their education has been completed in an approved English speaking country. Check the list of approved English speaking countries.

Visiting exchange students are encouraged to check with their international offices for specific program requirements.

To use these alternatives, of if you have other questions, please contact us:

International Admissions